|Home » Industry Watch
CARDIFF (Rixstep) — Rixstep's Xfile Test Drive 126.96.36.199 is now available through this site by FTP download and through CNET Download.com.
188.8.131.52 adds to the robust system of Xfile 184.108.40.206 with additional features outlined below.
- 3D: Drag Drop Display.
- Code for ACL detection tweaked.
- ACP APIs rewritten for future consistency.
- 'Goto' commands now have alternative destinations.
- Symbolic links now sort according to their dereferenced file types.
- Alternate display colour used when more than POSIX permissions affect file access.
Tracker's new 'playback' feature lets ACP/Xfile users 'freeze dry' listings for later file management and cleanup.
The new Test Drives have significantly fewer 'nags', affording a smoother environment to test the Xfile applications.
Xfile has for the past ten years been the #1 alternative to Apple's Finder. It's a straightforward, lean and mean file manager. Xfile does one thing and does it extremely well - it manages your file system. (Whoa.)
Xfile is the preferred file manager for system programmers, application developers, and administrators.
Xfile gives you an overview of your entire Mac file system with its 100,000+ files and 20,000+ directories, all at a single glance and with no risk of overloading your computer's memory. 'Never say never' as the saying goes, but Xfile never crashes or hangs. It starts instantaneously, 'bang it's there', and renders your biggest system directories with thousands of files and in all ten columns of data in a fraction of a second.
'Finder Very Distant'
Those in the know have been praising Xfile from the get-go.
- Macworld UK called Xfile a 'supercharged file manager' and 'a powerful bundle of OS X file management software'.
- MacPro.se called Xfile 'überfast' and went on to admit 'it's undeniably easy to be spoiled and after several hours the Finder feels very distant'.
- Macworld Sweden wrote 'with Xfile you get full control over all your files'.
Xfile protects you in ways Finder won't. Finder will let you hose your system. Xfile won't.
- 'Sanity checks' performed on all file operations. No massive data loss bugs here, thank you.
- Operations with conflicting file types are not allowed. You can no longer overwrite a folder with a file.
- Full file permission granularity. No more 'read-only' and 'read and write' etc. You see it all, control it all.
Xfile Test Drive ships with several additional applications.
- FileInfo. Used for attacking legacy 'MacOS' cruft.
- GDE. Find what's on your HDD beneath the POSIX APIs.
- Rixcomp. Compare two of anything instantaneously.
- Rixstamp. Unix (POSIX) time stamp control.
- TMI. Get 'too much information' on any file system object.
- Tracker. Don't install new software without it.
- Xattrib. Full control of POSIX file permissions and extended flags in standalone app.
- Xfind. Find how much disk space is used, find what's in files and what's not in files.
- Xscan. Scour your entire system for anything, including classic attack vectors.
The commercial Xfile product ships with 19 applications; the ACP ships with over one hundred.
Academic licences are available.
Xfile Test Drive
Xfile Product Page
Download Xfile Test Drive Now