|Home » Learning Curve » Developers Workshop
Not Just Another YouTube Blooper
Highlights two important issues.
MOUNTAIN VIEW (Rixstep) — There's been an error in URL creation code at YouTube for the past twenty four hours. At time of writing it's just been fixed.
- Go to any YouTube clip, the shorter the better.
- Wait for it to play out.
- The clip view will fill with suggestions for the next clip to watch.
- Click on any one of them.
- You'll get a 404 'not found'.
- if you look at your location bar, you'll see why.
- The dweeb who redid the code forgot to put 'http://' at the beginning of the URLs. They're all interpreted as RRLs - relative to youtube.com. So 404s result.
- Shit happens but in this case two other things apply.
- It's almost impossible for anyone to notify YouTube of an error. And it took them twenty four hours to notice it.
- The code that was changed was not tested prior to going online.