|Home » Products » Reviews » The Bad
Reply to Angela Grady <email@example.com>
PRESS RELEASE: Lighthouse Design Ships OmniWeb 1.0
17 Mar 1995 18:17:23 -0500
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
For product information, contact:
or try: <URL:http://www.lighthouse.com>
Lighthouse Design Ships OmniWeb 1.0 for NEXTSTEP
--Provides Single User Licenses Free of Charge--
March 17, 1995 - SAN MATEO, CA - Lighthouse Design, Ltd. today announced that it has added OmniWeb 1.0, a powerful new World Wide Web (WWW) browser for the object-oriented NEXTSTEP, environment, to its product line, now totaling more than a dozen applications.
OmniWeb 1.0 is the first commercial release of the product, which has until today been tested across the globe by more than a thousand World Wide Web users. The first of many web-based products to be introduced by Lighthouse Design, OmniWeb brings powerful browsing and navigation capabilities to NEXTSTEP users of internal networks and the Internet. OmniWeb's support for industry standard HTML (HyperText Markup Language) and many of the emerging extensions (such as those driven by Mosaic Communications' NetScape products) allows NEXTSTEP users to participate as first class citizens in the emerging global information marketplace.
'The web is opening a vast array of new business opportunities for our customers', said Jonathan Schwartz, president of Lighthouse Design, Ltd. 'OmniWeb delivers instant access to the world's growing information infrastructure, and provides those customers delivering next generation applications with a superior front-end to the Internet and World Wide Web community.'
OmniWeb includes an array of powerful and convenient features designed to make the World Wide Web accessible to new and power users alike. Its features include:
- Fully integrated forms support
- Instantaneous text rendering displays pages as they are downloaded without requiring users to wait for the entire document to load
- Support for multiple concurrent browsers, allowing more than one session to be run simultaneously
- Fully integrated gopher and FTP access, simplifying the process of retrieving archival data and software to point and click
- Three different schemes for displaying browsing history
- Hierarchically organized bookmark windows for organizing large URL libraries (a starter library with more than 200 web sites is bundled with the application)
- Bookmark windows can contain links to other bookmark pages, enabling companies to set up standard sets of documentation for all users, and allowing users to share each other's favorite pages
- An animated progress bar that monitors downloads
- Full support for proxy servers and firewalls
- Ability to copy and paste rich text (with all formatting and graphics) from a browser into mail messages, or any other application that accepts RTF or RTFD
- Package includes OmniImage, which supports viewing of all standard World Wide Web image file formats (as well as several dozen others), and allows you to save any included graphic in a NEXTSTEP readable TIFF format
- Exports configurable NEXTSTEP services to all applications, allowing them to look up words on any indexed web page; samples are included for searching in NeXTanswers and AT&T's 1-800 directory
OmniWeb 1.0 is free to individual users, and is available now for Intel-, Motorola- and HP PA-RISC-based versions of NEXTSTEP 3.2 or later. For organizations purchasing multiple licenses, the product will list for $119, with volume discounts available. Beginning March 20th, the software can be ftp'd from the following location:
OmniWeb is a key addition to Lighthouse Design's line of products, which now includes Quantrix, a multi-dimensional spreadsheet; Diagram!, a drawing program for information graphics; Concurrence, a presentation and outlining package; ParaSheet, a traditional rows and columns spreadsheet; WriteUp, a general-purpose word processor; VarioData, a multi-user workgroup database; TaskMaster, a project and resource management application; WetPaint, a painting and image manipulation program; and the Foundation Classes, a library of reusable objects for custom developers. Lighthouse is also an authorized reseller of Frame Technology Corporation's FrameMaker, 3.2 on NEXTSTEP for Intel, the industry's premier document publishing package.
Lighthouse Design is dedicated to delivering unsurpassed productivity to enterprise developers and end-users of NEXTSTEP, and OpenStep. The company is located at 2929 Campus Drive, San Mateo, CA 94403.
For further information on Lighthouse Design and its products, contact Lighthouse Design, Ltd. directly at 1-800-366-2279 or 1-415-570-7736, or send electronic mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or see Lighthouse Design's World Wide Web page at
Lighthouse Design, Ltd., Quantrix, Diagram!, Concurrence, ParaSheet, VarioData, TaskMaster, WetPaint, the Foundation Classes and the Lighthouse logo are trademarks of Lighthouse Design, Ltd. OmniWeb is a trademark of Omni Development, Inc. FrameMaker is a registered trademark of Frame Technology Corporation. All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.